Saturday, May 23, 2009

4th Quarter Book Rev. TUESDAY'S WITH MORRIE

If you want to read a truly touching book, then I suggest you read the book Tuesday's With Morrie. As I was looking at the front and the back of the book, I kept reading about how this book can "change your perspective on life" and truly "touch your heart". At first before I cracked open the book I was thinking, yeah, okay this book is really going to get to me THAT much. After reading the first couple of chapters, I could not set the book down whatsoever. It grasped my attention right away. I liked how instantly the book just took flight with the story. Mitch, the narrator of the story, really made me feel as if I was there with him and experiencing all the talks he had with his professor, Morrie.
In Tuesday's With Morrie, Mitch Albom writes from a present perspective while referring to past at some instances, telling the heart-warming story of his professor and him. Mitch talks about how they first met, the beginnings of their one-on-one "classes" which were really just deep intimate talks they would have together. The story truly begins when Mitch, in his thirties now, married, and carrying the job of a writer, particularly writing about sports, is sitting at home one day on the couch and sees his old professor on the t.v. having an interview with a famous newscaster. He looks old, tired, and sick. And he is sick. He had a serious disease in which his muscles were becoming less and less functioning every day. After Mitch sees this old man who was such an important part of his life for so much of his life, he decided he needed to get a hold of Morrie.
When he did, at first it felt awakward. Trying to get back into the swing of things, having a regular conversation. And before they knew it, it was as if no time had come inbetween them at all. It was like they were back "in class" again. Since Mitch lived in Michigan and Morrie lived in Massachsettes, Mitch would fly out and see him every weekend. Every trip began becoming more and more difficult. Mitch was watching his friend, his teacher, his good company for so many years, literally deteriorate with every visit. But with every visit brought a new lesson to be learned for Mitch. They talked about every thing imaginable to talk about. Life, death, love, shame, hope, dreams, marriage, and so much more. Mitch even brought his wife once to visit, and she was immensely touched by Morrie, as he was by her. And throughout all this learning, he compiled this book. Morrie was interviewed two more times before he died. The whole country feel absolutely in love with him, and he received a numerous amount of letters from his viewers about how much he inspired them. Mitch's last time with Morrie was memorable and the way it was suppose to be. A simple talk, and a sweet good-bye. Mitch was not in Massachusettes when Morrie died. But he was happy to know that Morrie passed the way he wanted to, which was peacefully.
This book was amazing. The lessons in which Mitch learns, the reader does too. I found myself getting teary eyed a lot of the times. That is how emotional this book is. You can really sense that Mitch put his all into his book that reflects on his amazing life experiences with Morrie. There are no words to describe how wonderful this book is, you need to read it your self. You will instantly fall in love with the story, and will want to learn each life lesson that is in the next chapter.

2 comments:

Koyya said...

You know, I have heard of Tuesday's with Morrie but I have never come around to it. I have read his other book, like much of us have, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and that was also an inspirational book. I do feel that Tuesdays is a more personal connection, and for that I put it on my to do list. Thank you for sharing. :)

Lourella Mendoza said...

I love Mitch Albom books! I recommend reading For One More Day and The Five People You Meet in Heaven. They are all really touching books to read. Plus, just like Tuesday's With Morrie, it tells you a few lessons to think about as well.