Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Women Speak Up

“For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.”
Virginia Woolf

I found this quote on the Quotes of the day website that Ms. Fletcher posted. I really like the website because it has all these different interesting quotes. I think that most of them can start really interesting discussions. I wanted to share this quote because I think that it relates to what we’ve been talking about in class. I think that since women have always been the sensitive, polite, indirect, quiet gender that we’ve set that categorization for our selves. We always try to not hurt the feelings of others and so we come out as weak. Sometime sour opinions aren’t heard because of our insecurity. We became quiet to not appear as mean or arrogant every time we talked. That is why no one is used to hearing a woman speak with security and authority, and so when we do people act offended. We were always anonymous and now that we trey not to be anonymous anymore the opposite sex feel threatened.

4 comments:

Nicole Espiritu said...

I doubt that anybody feels threatened by our voice. I mean anyone's aggression shouldn't be that intimidating, it's only an opinion. I don't know if you're trying to say that when someone speaks with authority and security that it has to be offensive, but I really believe it doesn't. Girls get their way by charm, flick of the eyelashes. Guys get their way by charm, a cute little compliment. There is no aggression from speaking one's opinion, and I would hate to offend the oppisite sex.

Anonymous said...

The quote reminds me of another quote I once read in a book by Hillary Clinton called Living History: "Too many women in too many countries speak the same language...of silence." The quote refers to way women are treated in some Middle Eastern countries but I think it can also be about how we, as women, sometimes don't speak out about how we feel about certain things. We tend to keep quiet so that we don't hurt other people's feelings. As you said we've made this little stereotype for ourselves as quiet, sensitive, and polite and I think sometimes it can be hard for someone to have the courage to step away from that stereotype.

Anonymous said...

So we become anonymous because it gives us that chance to voice out our opinions. I'm just happy that we are beginning to make sure our voices are heard everywhere.

Ashley English said...

Yes it is true that we as women are sterotyped as quiet, kind, and somtimes sensitive. But if we have something on our minds, we should speak and say how we feel. Just because we give our opinion doesn't mean that it has to be offensive we are just expressing ourselves.