Wednesday, May 6, 2009

SSR book review in progress

Hello all my lovely classmates and Ms. Fletcher. The weather outside is quite lovely and I do hope you are all enjoying it. I know we all need to write our book reviews but I haven't finished my book yet- Hello it is prom season and I have been going crazy with planning all the details to the momentous occasion- but I am reading when I can =)

My book is The Fortune Quilt by Lani Diane Rich. The cover has a quilt on it with a frog with a crown lying underneath. I tried to figure out how this will play into the book once I really get into it. The main character's name is Carly McKay. Carly grew up with her two younger sisters and her father. Her mother split when she was 12 and she basically raised her sisters because her father was in such a shock after her mother left.

Carly works as a film editor and semi-reporter for the local news station. Her best friend is a guy named Christopher- she later finds out that Christopher has been in love with her since college and he wants to be with with her but that happens in the middle of a huge mess- and he works with her at the station. They do this story on a psychic named Brandywine Seaver. Brandy makes quilts without knowing who their for or what their purpose will be. Once Carly is done interviewing her, Brandy realizes that she made a quilt just for Carly...12 years before Carly arrived at her doorstep. Brandy gives a reading telling Carly out there things. As it turns out, Brandy is spot on.

Carly gets laid off from her job because the station owner bailed and took the money with him, Christopher tells Carly how he's in love with her and gives her a book that was once Carly's in college but someone sold it, and to top it all off Carly's mother, Mary, returns to her and her family's life after 17 years. Carly's head is in a whirlwind and he moved out. Now she is unemployed, homeless, and blaming all of her fortunes on the "EVIL QUILT" that Brandy made for her.

That is as far as I have got. Sounds pretty interesting though, doesn't it?
have a happy happy rest of your day =*)

No comments: