Sunday, June 7, 2009

5 People

I just recently read, or finally finished, the book The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. I had started to read it during the first quarter but for some reason i couldn't make myself finish it. I hate starting books and not finishing them, so i picked it up again and couldn't put it down. I know a lot of people have already read the book but here's an overview:

The main character, Eddie, is an 80-something year old widower who works at Ruby Pier. On his birthday he goes to work, like he does every day, as the maintenance man. One of the coasters has something wrong with it and could harm a young girl, so Eddie risks, and loses his life to try and save the little girl. When Eddie wakes up he is in heaven. His first reaction is anger and all he cares about is if he saved the little girl. During his time in heaven he meets five people who were apart of his life. Whether he knew them or not, they played a part in how his life ended up or vice versa. He makes view changing discoveries, revisits painful memories, and in the end makes a peace-making revelation.

Albom tells the story to give people a look at how he thinks of heaven. To explain all the things that you didnt understand, show you things, and give you a better understanding of the life you lived.

I can say that i really enjoyed this book. I'm kind of upset that i didnt finish it all the way through, without taking that long break, but the book's good no matter how long it took me to finish it. I wish i could thank him for writing such a wonderful story.

3 comments:

Michelle Nation said...

I LOVED The Five People You Meet in Heaven

If you like Mitch Albom you should also try

Tuesdays with Morrie

and For One More Day

his books are of similar size and are all quite touching

betty s. said...

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is quite intriguing. It provokes one to sort their beliefs in Heaven or in life after death. I enjoy think about that.

♥peace

PJ said...

i LOVE that book. i love like every book by mitch album. that book was so sweet and it made me a little sad but i still loved it. i also loved for one more day. his books are an easy read and the stories are great