Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Shack

The Shack
WM. Paul Young
250 pages.

Are you religious? Do you seek the help from God?

Well, it doesn't really matter as long as you are interesting in a higher power. I am reading this book called The Shack by W.M. Paul Young and it is very interesting. If you don't want the book given away than stop reading now and move on to another post, because I cannot tell you about this book unless I give it away.

There is this guy called Mac. He has a wonderful family, beautiful wife and lovely kids. One summer Mac decides to take his three younger kids off on a labor day trip. Unfortunately, his daughter Missy is abducted and is believed to have been murdered in this shack. Of course the whole family takes it very hard, but mac is thrown into this "great saddness".

One day mac gets a note saying to go back to the shack. Turns out this note is from God. Yes, God. Mac goes to the shack, even though he is skeptical and to his surprise there are three people there: a black woman, a transparent asian woman, and an arabian man. These people are the trinity. The Arabian is Jesus, the Asian is the Holy Spirit, and the Black woman is God himself (herself). They teach Mac some much needed lessons... and frankly that is how far I have gotten.

To be perfectly honest, I do not know if I am going to finish it. It is nice. It is inspirational. It really gives you something to think about, but it is not for me. I believe in God, and I do believe that God is not a big white man. (In the book it describes that God portrayed himself as a woman because he did not want Mac to think of him the way society sees him. Which makes sense, you cannot get on a personal level with someone if you are looking at them by their stereotypes. Plus, I am not against God being black because according to science civilzation started in Africa/Middle East in an area that is considered to be the Garden of Eden.) Anyway, the book is not for me, but it may be for you.


P.S. Mac is a real guy. He did have a spirtiually epiphany, but I am unclear as to whether or not it went as far as what the book says. Than again, I should finish the book to find out.

3 comments:

GioLopez said...

It seems like a nice book, although to be honest, I am skeptical about religion. However, I don’t find anything wrong with people believing in a divine power, or more, or how they believe it is represented as. That’s what this culture is about: Accepting other ways of thinking even if you yourself don’t believe them.

Maddi Martin said...

I would really like to read this book. It sounds interesting and intriguing to me, maybe because I am religious. :) I think I would be interested in it even if I wasnt religious though, because it is based on a real persons "experience" I think it brings a certain insight and element of likeablility in my opinion. You should let me borrow it sometime :)

Julia Crook said...

I read this earlier this year too. I never finished it though. I got to about the same point you got to, when he met the trinity. My mom told me I should read it and I got really into it. I think I just stopped reading because I went back to the fourth Twilight(which i STILL haven't finished....what is wrong with me?!) I would recommend this book though...but you have to be open minded. I am religious so i took it as it came...but for someone who isn't they may be very skeptical. very insightful book though!