Tuesday, June 9, 2009

SSR: Watchmen

Boy, it sure has been a long time since I last looked at the blog, let alone post anything. Oh, well...

After watching the movie Watchmen, I decided it was awesome and that I had better read the comic so I knew what I was talking about. I finished reading the graphic novel some time ago, but completely forgot about the blog post! So, without further delay, here it is.
Watchmen is a very dark novel with an awesome story line and even better characters. There is no single main character, because the book jumps back and forth between a handful of characters as the plot slowly untangles. The main characters are Rorschach, Night Owl, Dr. Manhattan, Silk Spectre, and Adrian Veidt. And of course the Comedian, but he dies at the very beginning of the story. The death of the Comedian gets the ball rolling, as Rorschach begins to contemplate the existence of a mask-killer.
At some point, a couple of characters discover a tiny piece of a dangerous, worldwide plot to achieve something big. And they don't realize how big until it's too late...
I don't want to spoil the story by telling any more. But I will say it's very neat how things unfold. The author has done a brilliant, truly genius job writing this story, and the artist makes it all understandable. 
This book is psychologically shocking, so the faint of heart (and faint of butt) should probably not read it. All in all, a great comic. Not your classic hero vs. villain comic. Better.

1 comment:

adilene said...

graphic novels are so interesting to me i think that if i dont have a clear picture of what's going on in the story the pictures speak on their own. I rean a book called MOUSE it was also a graphic novel and it was the story of a victem of the holocaust, all the characters were drawn as mice it was awesome. :D