Thursday, June 11, 2009

Book Review

Like most girls, and some boys, I fell in love with the Twilight series. After reading the books over and over again, I wanted more! My friend Hannah, found this book titled, The Host, by Stephenie Meyer. The Host is about 600 page science fiction book that takes you into the future where aliens have taken over. These aliens are tiny, worm like creatures that must live in a human to survive, hence humans are called the host. Of course, there are some humans who have managed to escape and live in secret communities, plotting to take back their world. Of these humans is Melanie, a vivacious and daring young girl who will stop at nothing to protect her younger brother Jaime and her boyfriend Jared from being captured. Unfortunately Melanie is captured and her body is used as a host. Now it seems like this is the end, the main character is defeated and there is nothing left. The End.

But no, although rare sometimes humans are able to fight back once their mind and body has been invaded by the aliens. Melanie and the alien Wanda are both fight for control of Melanie's body. Neither one has complete control of the body nor the mind. Unwillingly Melanie shows Wanda how to find her brother and Jared. The hidden human community can't believe that Melanie has been able to break free of Wanda, so at first they treat the two girls really bad. As the book progresses they see that Melanie AND Wanda are both inside both actively alive. I don't want to give away too much, but the two girls continue live in the hidden human community with Jared and her brother. Many events happen including a love triangle, secret heist, and much more.

I loved this book because the ending was perfect. I hate when I read an entire book and I'm all into it and than it ends horribly. Stephenie Meyer has such a way with creating characters that you fall in love with. There always seems to be this underlying theme of forbidden love, first in Twilight with Bella and Edward and than with Melanie, Jared, and Wanda in The Host. It's strange that I enjoyed The Host as much as I did because I usually don't mix well with science fiction books. I get bored if they are too unrealistic. Although aliens invading earth and taking over our bodies is pretty far stretched I still loved it. Who knows, maybe this could happen?? Anyways if you loved Twilight, you will love The Host. It's a easy read and you won't be able to put it down.

4 comments:

Megan Tisdale said...

I tried reading this book and it was just way to weird for me. Science fiction is definately not my genre. I heard that Stephanie gets her book ideas from dreams and if that is the case, she needs to lay off the junk food before bed.

Lindsey W. said...

I have started reading twilight and I really like it. Honestly though this book sounds kind of weird but that may be the reason it intriges me. I have read a few science ficton novels but there aren't many that I can read. It's kind of like you said if it's not really realistic it's hard to read. I need something that I might believe could happen.

Jordan Pennington said...

well i love twilight, but i don't know if i would like this book. It doesn't really interest me i was kind of turned off once i saw aliens. Maybe a more realistic fiction?

Cybill Rayos said...

If I read all the books from Twilight to Breaking Dawn...I might give this one a shot. It seems rather interesting. And hey, it's the same author.