Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Perfume by Patrick Suskind

This book must be one of the creepiest, horrible books I have ever read since there are probably people out there like the main character. Despite the sickening sexually fetish this Grenouille has it is an incredible read. The whole time I was reading it I kept saying to myself "Oh my God" because it was disturbing, but of course I had to keep reading.

It is about this guy Grenouille who was born in 18th century Paris, while his mother was working in this factory. After he was born, his mother threw him in the trash like his older siblings to die, though while in the trash he decided to start crying leading him to be discovered. His mother was found and was hung. The odd thing about Grenouille was that he did not have any scent, no fresh baby smell, nothing, which really proved really creepy to the monk who was to take care of him. The monk couldn't handle the defective infant so he took him far away to this lady who was said to have died on the inside when she was a little girl, after being beaten by her father. She didn't feel any real emotion, her only care was that she did not want to be taken to die in a hospital. For her living she took in unwanted children as long as someone paid for their basic needs and putting them to work. It was she who discovered that Grenouille had an incredible sense of smell, he could tell if a storm was coming, or where things were even if they were hidden.

When Grenouille ran out of paid time, she sold him to a tanner to do some of the most deadly work with chemicals. While exploring the city after his work, he smells somthing that he cannot resist, he follows it; it leads to a young virgin girl whom he kills receiving some sort of sexual pleasure from the event. To his dismay, the beautiful smell disappears once the girl is dead, this leads to his killing of many more girls in the future. Grenouille later becomes disgusted with the smell of humanity, so he ends up living in a desolate cave for seven years. It is after this time Grenouille realizes himself that he has no scent of his own. He then goes to Montpelier where he works for a perfumer, learning how to capture scents. From here he tries to capture the scents of the beautiful women he kills, eventually succeeds. The townspeople finally discovers that Grenouille is the one committing the murders as seeks to finish the greatest of all perfumes. The final scene is him about to be hung when he opens his perfume, as it spreads over the crowd, everyone begins this massive orgy.

I did not see that coming.

-Michelle Herrera

6 comments:

adilene said...

I'm so interested now, I love books that just have you reading with suspence. I've read several books that i just can't put down because i want to know what happens next. This also takes me back to when we were talking about juvenile justice because it shows how what happens to a person as a kid does affect their lives and can lead them to commit crime.

Brittnee Clary said...

Woahh that is so wierd. I would definitely read this book because it sounds like one you just couldn't put down. It's wierd when you read books like this and wonder what other crazy stuff could be going on in the world you live in?? It really creeps me out. That is why I hate watching the news, it's like thirty minutes of the worst news you could hear. Some one was shot, killed, hit by a car, the list goes on and on. Anyways I know that has nothing to do with your book but yeah...I am going to read this book!

Megan Tisdale said...

Wasn't this one of the books Ms. Swieck attempted (poorly) to get some of us to read? That sounds like it goes in the category of Sweeney Todd, and Jack the Ripper. What is wrong with people?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting, albeit disturbing, book. Although I don't often read books with suspense or about serial killers, I'd totally read that because the main character sounds incredibly fascinating and twisted.

Julia Crook said...

I actually started this book a few years back(i believe 10th grade) when i was in ms. swiecks honor class. I never got through it but now reading your review it makes me want to try it again. I remember the beginning but back then I had no real interest for reading. It is crazy how I tend to go through phases with reading...one minute I'm a reading maniac and the next I won't read anthing. Great review lots of detail and yet kind of vague! I want to go find my copy of it now...

Cybill Rayos said...

I've picked up this book time and time again, but I have never gotten to finish it. It didn't quite catch my attention. After reading this review, I want to try and read it again. It sounds interesting!