Friday, June 12, 2009

Skinny

When my sister and I go out, we frequently end up at a book store. I guess it's the one place that we both can agree on going without wanting to kill one another. Lately though, the young adult section has been hit or miss, so I've moved onto borrowing books from other students, mostly Megan Turner. :) I find that with the economy, this is the best way to go and then the parents feel like they get more bang for their buck.
One book that I did find was the book Skinny by Ibi Kaslik. I will tell you right now- the book is interesting in the beginning, but by the end of it you want to scream.
The book goes back and forth from the perspective of Holly, a high schooler and Giselle, who is Holly's older sister. Giselle has a really bad eating disorder and just got out of the hospital for it. I will admit, it was nice to see the perspective of someone other than the sick, just to show how everyone is affected.
The reasons for Giselle's illness are deep rooted, starting with how her parents met and her father's death.
The book drags on, switching time periods and points of view constantly, forcing the reader to keep up.
I would give the book a C- at best.

2 comments:

Lindsey W. said...

This sounds kind of interesting. I hate when books bounce back and forth and its hard to follow but sometimes the book can be really good. I have read a few like that but overall most of them were good. I might actually read this book.

analisa said...

Hey! this sounds like a book that I read once. The book is called "Perfect" and its about a girl that has an eating disorder just like "Skinny". It was really sad but also reall GOOD. I think I would like this book too!