Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Book Review

The English patient by Michael Ondaatje is a very interesting story it takes place after the European war has ended with the Germans retreating up the Italian countryside. There are a couple of characters: Hana a nurse that stays in town with her English patient, after everyone else left to a safer place. The English patient, who was a victim of war torture, and is now being taken care of by the nurse. His true identity is hidden within the affair he had with a married woman. Another character is Kip, an Indian whose job was to defuse bomb that had left behind in the town in which Hana and the English patient were located. Kip becomes a part of Hana’s sentimental life, until the United States drops an atomic bomb in Japan and he changes his path. The way all these characters connect and the way their lives reflect some Historic moments is interesting and I would recommend everyone to read this book.

2 comments:

isabell said...

I think im going to read this book before watching the movie...sounds interesting.

Lindsey W. said...

That sounds really interesting. I like when books tie in some real historic moments. I like history so it's nice. I think I might read this book. I didn't even know there was a movie about it. Well I will definitely look into this book.