Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Girls vs. Boys

At first, I thought boys were the competitive ones. Honestly, they have to make everything a contest, and the skew their way into winners. Wait, I don't know that. I don't know much about guys, because, frankly, I'm not one. I'm not going to pretend to start thinking I know about guys and I'm sure going to try and avoid to accuse them of anything. Back to competing... Throughout these blogs, I have seen girls compete trying to make their stance on who's better. I mean, they make this great approach about how we're all poor communicators and then BAM, "I'm not like that." These posts have made me come to a conclusion that women do not suppress themselves but rather leave room to makes them look even better through comparing.

This approach is great! I'm a competitor myself, I'm often caught saying "winner" when there is really no contest, but that's not the point. The point is looking good. When someone makes a clear picture that they are definitely better than their competition, how could they lose?! I mean, if you had a really nice picture, where would you place it by.. Heidi Klum or coked up Amy Whinehouse? I'd place it by Whinehouse because I'd probably look 10x's better than if I placed by than an actual model. It's like the whole "feel-fat?-get-fatter-friends" concept. We've all heard of it and it's been so effective. It's great to hear women stand up for themselves.

I really hope that this section isn't about the difference between boys and girls. Obviously, there has to be a difference. That extra 'X' or 'Y' chromosome makes a huge difference. Testosterone, estrogen, every chemical takes a toll on our bodies and we already know that there is a behavioral difference between the sexes. I was hoping more for a cultural experience. I would like to learn about the "talk-stories" and how the asian cultlure has effected us. I would rather learn, who do politicians appeal to, minorites or their own race, and do they use culture to help that influence. I would rather learn about the cultures of other countries, how they eat, who they eat with, what they eat, things like that, to make a better distinction between cultures. Our studies seemed to be based around stereotypes, and I was hoping that we'd learn how not to think that way.

However, in a class dicussion, I realized that awareness is important. I use to be one of those people who believed that racism was over, at least in California. It seems that just because I don't practice it, or see any of it, it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Same with sexism and any other prejudice. A harsh reality I've come to terms with. I couldn't do a project based on the chemistry of STD's and sex because I just so happened to be doing the project with my boyfriend. Right away, people throw in jokes about how we researched, but that just wasn't the case. Two boys or two girls simply wouldn't have to go through principals, vice principals, and adminstrators just to present an hour on this type of subject. I remember being frustrated and wished that other people would believe that we'd approach any subject appropriately and maturely. I hated how they didn't trust us to take sex seriously, just because of how old we were. It's like they expected us to follow the stereotype. How dare they put us to such low standards! I guess since prejudism is such a nasty thing to experience, that I hoped that people could surpass that and be all nice to each other. You know, all the hippie love stuff.

I've really been blind, I've always hear Mayfair complaining how we're separated into groups. Certain people, certain personalities, they always got to stick together. I assumed that this was false due to the fact that I've had classmates I've never seen before engage conversation in classrooms and how I'm always saying hi to the class of '09 outside of school. Nobody really talked badly about each other and I thought that was the only factor in separation. As long as we respected each other, categorizing ourselves and separating ourselves couldn't be possible. Still, we separate by how we're treated by teachers, and other peers. We categorize by our interests and our cultures. I'm sure it's improved from when my dad was in high school, but I'm sure that our children will be more united than we feel today.

No comments: