Thursday, March 26, 2009

From the very beginning of Into the Wild, I have been fascinated (like Krakauer) with McCandless. The way each person he ever came in contact with took such a strong holding to him. Wierd as it sounds, I am totally and completely depressed that he died. I wish that I could just sit down with him and just talk. I want to know first hand exactly what made Chris McCandless so interesting (BESIDES his lust for adventure). It's like the first time I watched the movie Selena, I was only nine years old, and I was completely blind sited when she died. Honestly, I think I cried for an hour. At least in McCandless's case I knew beforehand that he died, but I still can't help but feel sad. I know some people think that he was just a selfish young guy who ran away when things didn't go his way or maybe he did what he did in order to punish his family, however, I truly believe that their was a passion inside McCandless, that none of us can fathom. Perhaps his passion is what draws me to him. I can't help but to admire him. Besides the whole Alaskan adventure and his inevitable "itchy feet," he sounds kind of dreamy...YES! I know. I am wierd, but come on ladies. He was intelligent, passionate, insightful, musical, and very cute. However, just because I have a strange "crush" or better stated a strange "infatuation" with Chris McCandless, it doesn't mean that I agree with what he did to his family. In a letter to his sister Carine, he wrote,
"Since they won't ever take me seriously, for a few months after graduation I'm going to let them think they are right, I'm going to let them think that I'm 'coming around to see their side of things' and that are relationship is stablizing. And then, once the time is right, with one abrupt, swift action I'm going to completely knock them out of my life."
I am so disgusted and turned off by his attitude in this letter. After reading this, my prince charming turned into a bratty five year old. The whole idea of "tricking" his parents into thinking everything was ok and than BAM he's gone, was just a horrible thing to do. Chris McCandlesss had malice intention of running away in order to hurt his parents, and that is just cruel and insensitive.
So, although McDreamy (meaning McCandless, not Grey's Anatomy's Dr. McDreamy) isn't perfect, I still like him. He wanted to explore the world in which we live, and that's exactly what he did. Of course he could have been a little smarter about his escapade, and MAYBE he would be alive today. Then again, if he would have lived, we may have never known about Chris McCandless a.k.a. Alex Supertramp.

2 comments:

Michelle Nation said...

I thought he was attractive too.
And intelligent and yada yada, but his lack of care for people disturbed me.....

tiffany smith said...

no he isn't that cute guys... he looks like a bum. Did you guys look at more photos of him? you should google him and then let me know if you still think he's cute. Besides that factor I don't think he is that admirable because everyone dies, but his death was just a little premature.