Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

So most of you have heard Ms. Fletcher talking about this book, but I'm going to talk about it some more.
When I first started reading the book I had no idea what it was about, it was not until I read about 50 pages that I decided to actually read the cover and see what the heck was going on.
I found out that it was about this boy who was born mute and lives in a very rural area with his mom and dad who breed dogs. What caught my attention was the fact that the dad dies. Not only does he die, he gets murder. BY HIS BROTHER. Than this sneaky guy wants to marry his late brother's widow. Intense stuff.
It was not until recently, that I actually read all that was given away in the summary. But what the summary did not tell was how Edgar found out all of this. I don't want to say too much because Ms. Fletcher hasn't gotten this far yet but I will say this, the person who shows Edgar the truth has been dead. At this point I am completely drawn in because you can see how confused, hurt, and agry is at his uncle and his mom. I just finished reading this scene where Edgar is just staring at his uncle... It is hard to explain but you can feel how much he wants revenge.
I have never read a book like this. Im usually into non-fiction serial killers or people going through terrible anguish, but this book is good. It tears open the image of a perfect life through the eyes of someone who cannot verbally tell the story.

All I can say is that if you don't know what to read, you should try it.

3 comments:

AFletcher said...

Koyya, did you know this is a version of Hamlet? Hamlet's father is murdered; his uncle marries his mother. Hamlet's dad comes back as a ghost and tells Hamlet he was murdered. So let me guess: did the dad come back as a ghost and tell Edgar he was murdered??

AFletcher said...

I finished Edgar Sawtelle in one big reading binge on Saturday, March 14. It was late, late in the night when I was done, and I went to bed unsatisfied. It was a very long commitment and I felt ripped off in the end. I have to talk to my bookclub about it, and I have to review the last act of Hamlet. I can't say anything more. Maybe I need to reread the last 100 pages. Maybe I need some emotional distance. But I feel like I entered into an agreement with the author, that I would follow these characters through their turmoil, and I would care about them, and in return, he would deliver them to a place that was safe and acceptable. I kept up my end of the bargain, but the author did not. I think I may be having an immature reaction, but I'm a little bitter right now.

Brittnee Clary said...

After reading your book review and Ms. Fletcher's comments, I really want to read this book. I'm dying to know whether Edgar's dad comes back as a ghost to tell him?? I love when I read a book and I feel like I am a part of the story. Like you think about the characters and the plot constantly.

And I am dying to know why Ms. Fletcher was so disappointed by the ending of the book. I'm guessing Edgar, a character the author made you love, died or something like that. (I hope I'm not giving anything away, it's just my best guess.) Even though this book sounds really good, I don't really want to read it and love the storyline and grow to care about the characters and than be depressed if the story doesn't end well. It's like watching Pearl Harbor. You grow to love the amazingly sweet and gorgeous Danny (Josh Hartnett), and than he dies! It's terrible. I know it is pathetic to get so worked up about a fictional character, but I really do get sad.

I think my curiousity is going to outweigh my dismay for bad endings.

Ms. Fletcher, do you think I can borrow your copy?? If not, it's ok.
:]


Thanks for helping me pick out my fourth quarter book.