Tuesday, March 24, 2009

SSR- the partner

I am currently reading this book by John Grisham entitled The Partner. I really enjoy his style of writing. He incorporates law into all of his pieces, and that really interests me. I have previously read A Time to Kill which was also written by him. A Time to Kill was about a little girl that was raped back before lynching was punishable. Enough said. The Partner is about this guy that stole ninety million dollars from his law firm by first faking his death, and then leaving the country. He left behind his wife and supposed child, as well as his friends and loved ones. This is a really exciting read, but I've been so busy lately that I haven't picked it up for the past three weeks. Well, he has to suffer the repercussions of his crimes. Oh, but check this out. He faked his death right.... so there is someone dead. He killed someone right. That is the main mystery.
I think that you all should read at least one of his books in your lifetime. If you all have any recommendations for me I would also appreciate them. I like romance and mystery novels. I enjoy books that are along the same lines as CSI, and other shows like that. I don't know why these things interest me. It's a little weird to me, but it's so good. When I get a book like this, I can't put it down; unless I have other work to do that prevents me from reading the way I would like.
I have also read Little Brother, Ready to Exhale, Brothers and Sister's, and a few others this quarter. Little Brother is about the government's constant eye over civilization these days. They claim that they watch us for our safety, but it is a little uncomfortable. They say that if we have nothing to hide then we shouldn't care about a constant surveillance over our lives, but I value my privacy and I would like to retain that privilege. Anyway, the book talks about the corruption within, and the provisions that they make to protect a city. The city is in turn victimised by the government rather than protected. It's really interesting, but it made me more aware. Ready to Exhale is about a group of friends that go through many relationship problems, and they help each other cop with their situations. I actually forgot what Brother's and Sister's is about. I just remember it being good.
All these book are in Ms. Fletcher's library if you're interested.

4 comments:

zaneta bell said...

the partner huh? well it sounds interesting but you said he faked his death and stole millions of dollars from his law firm? how long did he work at this firm because he must have had lot of trust in the firm to get his hands on that much money. Another question that arose was what kind of person was he? to leave his wife and suppose child, he must have been a real lonely, selfish, self involved, weird, and freaky man. no man who loves his family, who he vowed to love and be with through thick and thin to up and leave them after faking his death and stealing all this money. So im assuming that this death was a cover up so no one would continue to look for him, not making him a suspect. im also assuming that he lead his family to believe that hes dead to because if i was his wife i would be furious at him. leaving me to raise our child by myself without any kind of support and widower. that really sucks for her!

Koyya said...

Sounds very interesting. Once you do finish reading your current book let me know if you truly like it. I also enjoy mystery book, especially those that deal with mystery and murder. As far as recommendations go, I have read Devil in the White City, The Alienst, and The Monster of Florence. Those are a few mystery and murder books you may be interested in. If you are interested, read The Alienst. It is about a serial killer in the early 20th century. the story is in the point of view of a newpaper reporter who tries to solve the mystery with three "police officers" and an alienst (psychologist), all under the supervision of Theadore Roosevelt. Good Read.

Julie Barragan said...

The Partner sounds really good, you are going to have to tell me what happens next (I dont mind if its ruined). I can totally see this book made into a movie; a movie that I would really be interested in watching!

zaneta bell said...

man thats crazy. so the relationship was unhealthy. oh-girl was cheating and got pregnant by another dude and acted like it was her husbands! thats so crazy. she thought she was really going to get away with that! thats so grimmy. so they both just didnt care about each other? so why were they even together? it sounded like they were both wasting their time. lol