Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Website of the week is a helpful one!

This website: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/ (provided by Ms. Fletcher) is probably one of the best, if not the best, website for retrieving information on multiple topics concerning writing.

Upon clicking on the link, I expected a typical website with only a few links and topics about writing. Although, when the page loaded up on my laptop, I soon found that this site provided way more than I expected.

It includes: writing and teaching writing, research, grammar and mechanics, style guides, ESL, and job search and professional writing. These are just the featured topics centered on the website. The side right bar has countless resources for writing, such as: creating thesis statements, MLA and APA formatting, avoiding plagiarism, developing business letters and even tips on how to write a resume!

For a more in-depth look into the site, you may want to click on the link “Purdue OWL”. This has anything and everything a writer may need for almost any occasion. I definitely bookmarked this website for future references. And considering that college is right around the corner, which typically means lots and lots of paper, this website is a keeper.

1 comment:

Neftali Castaneda said...

I too agree that this website of the week is useful for us college-bound seniors. One thing that I am very excited to have found is the help on "Creating a Thesis Statement." Despite the practice we have had througout high school on creating thesis statements, some of us still find it a little difficult (I know I do). And so, college is right around the corner and so are many, many long tedious papers.

So I checked out this page and I found it was absolutely marvelous!
It has examples of thesis statements in three forms: analytical, expository, and argumentative. Wow! I know.

What I loved the most was that after the example is comments on what that essay should include and how it should be explained and presented.

So...my fellow classmates, we know fall 2009 will come very soon. So go and check out this site, you will be thankful for it. Mark my words.