Monday, March 23, 2009

wilder and wilder

The only bad part in my opinion about McCandless' life is that he hurts so many people on his way to true freedom.He connects with every person on his journey so well with his insights and tales to come but he always leaves them hanging, waiting for more.It seems unfair that he made so many friends and his life was taken from them.As he goes more into the wild, he leaves more of himself behind with his new families.It is challenging to even embark on this independent and harsh adventure but McCandless takes it even further as he tries to convince everyone to join him and "become nomadic."Ever since I've read this passage i can't stop thinking about how our lives should be more free and nomadic.How people go day by day unfullfilled because they don't take risks.Just comes to show how the loss of McCandless will go on and his journey won't be lost because more and more people will be greatly infuenced by his outlook on life.

4 comments:

AFletcher said...

I know; that bothers me too. In the first scene in the movie, when his mother dreams that he is calling her name, it just kills me. If I don't know where Maddy is for even one day, I get very, very frantic inside. Your children mean everything. To lose a son would be almost too much to bear, and THEN to have the story widely publicized and even studied in high schools...suggesting that somehow, your actions were partly behind his decision to leave...I don't know. I'd be so heartbroken.

tiffany smith said...

I agree with you that he is rude for leaving people and using them as I had previously stated in my past posts. I think that we do need to be a little freedom, and do things for ourselves. I commend him for taking the steps to do what it was that he needed in his life. I just don't agree with the way that he went about fulfilling his dream. He obviously has some good qualities about himself because he gave his scholarship money to those who were hungry. So he isn't all bad.

adilene said...

I think that when somebody is very friendly and so kind it's hard to stop people from loving you the way those who ecounter McCandless loved him. He didn't know that he was hurting those people like that, though he did know how he was hurting his parents. But i think that after his parents had hurt him through out his life, he felt like that was the least he could do to them...

Megan Tisdale said...

I agree with all the previous statements...
I don't think his intentions were to hurt the ones he loved and got to know. I think he left part of him with all of them, hoping that he would see them again. He was hoping to change how people thought and for a few, he did. He seems really chrismatic and very social, so it is a bit weird that he went into the wilderness by himself. Maybe the reason he talked to so many people was because he wanted to store up all this social time for when he would be alone.