Saturday, March 28, 2009

On the Flip SIde

I'm not quite sure whether or not the discussion questions we turned in last week will be posted on here, but I still want to bring this up.

Everyone that Chris encounters on the road is mindful of the fact that there exists some animosity among Chris and his parents. And while this may be true, I have a feeling that Chris isn't (or wasn't) exactly an angel child.

When people have wrong done unto them, they typically pursue revenge, either directly or indirectly. In Chris's case, this retribution came in the form of rebellion: he escaped the suffocating grip his parents exercised over him, and thus, abandoned a life of conformity.

And when he shares his feelings and experiences about his family life, he assumes the role of victim, naturally, because he wants to make himself look as innocent as possible. He wants people to sympathize with him, and this is the evidence he uses as justification for leaving because a victim mentality always seeks justification.

But while I am not complaining about him, anger with him, think him crazy, or any such ill, I cannot help but wonder about his parents' perspective about the whole situation. Because there are two poles in every magnet, and I can't help but think: What did Chris do that caused such an epic schism in the McCandless household? Sure, his parents may have caused him grief, but I want to know if this grief was reciprocated?

I am currently finishing up chapter 9, but I've had this question on my mind since about chapter 4. I've gathered that Krakauer goes into greater details about Chris's parents and home life in later chapters, but since I haven't gotten that far yet, I would appreciate if people didn't respond to this with answers that would spoil the plot for me.

Gratsi!

2 comments:

Koyya said...

Gaby, read at least through chapter 11. You will get a little more prospective on how the parents felt about Chris. I am starting on chapter 12, and in that chapter you shall see why Chris rebelled so much.

Julie Barragan said...

Gabby I hadn't even thought about that! You brought up such a good point. Did he do something to cause his parents grief? I feel into the tramp where I sympathized with him. Everyone makes his parents seem like the bad people and if you think about it... what youth doesnt? When I cause an arguement with my parents and later talk to my friends about it, I make myself the victim because I want to feel like I was NOT the one who caused the problem. It isn't like I do this on purpose, its subconcious and I think it happens to all young adults.