Thursday, March 26, 2009

SSR Book Review- The Things We Do For Love

This book is by Kristin Hannah. A random author, I know. I never heard of her before. My mom acutally told me to read this. She always buys random books regardless of author. She is the total opposite of me; I find an author I like and just read their books. So, I decided to try something new. This book is not full of intricate vocab words, but it does not read like a teenage book. It tells the stories of two different people. One is of a woman, Angela, that was born into a loving family with two sisters and a mom that always was there for her. She married a guy and they were happily in love. Angela always dreamed of having a family; in fact it was her biggest quest in life. When her husband and her found out they were not able to reproduce, their marriage failed. Angela ended up moving back home to live with her family.
Lauren is a high schooler basically raising herself. She has an alcoholic mom that only talks to Lauren when she needs money for her next drink. At seventeen, Lauren has such high hopes and yet fears that they may never happen. She is a high achiever and gets accepted into her perfect college. She has a wonderful boyfriend that treats her nothing short of perfect. Lauren wants to leave her mom so she can start her new life.
Lauren and Angela meet and from the start they have a connection. Angela knows Lauren is in need of money so she offers her a job at the family restaraunt. Everything is perfect in these girls lives, until something unexpected happens that changes both their lives.
I would recommend this book to any girl(boys would get bored with it). It is a heartwarming story that makes you cherish your loved ones around you. It is not action-packed or extraordinary, it is very realistic, which is why I think I liked it so much. It is a great read! =)

No comments: