Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Table For One Cheap Hopeless Romantic

Alright, I'll be honest- when I buy books, I usually go for cheap. My mom will let me buy more books if I don't break the bank. So I found two books to read for this quarter. The first is called If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince? by Melissa Kantor which is the Young Adult Novel about a girl named Lucy, who's dad has just remarried to a woman named Mara (who has two daughters) and has just moved from San Francisco to Long Island, New York. Her dad flies out every weekend to see her, but she feels like Cinderella- also being forced to do chores and even living in the basement of the house with nothing but boxes and an air mattress. She appears to be an amazing wall flower. Then, she then met her prince, Connor, and everything quickly seems to be turning for the better. Then her prince turned out to be more of a, well narcissist. He would rather talk to her about basketball and what team will win rather than what her interests are. Maybe she kissed the wrong toad.
I will admit, this book is most likely not for someone my age. I mean, really, no one would just out of the blue ask a girl ask, knowing they would say yes. I personally would have told my stepmother to stick it where the sun doesn't shine and then walked out, and gone somewhere else. I would have threatened my stepsisters into shutting up and listening to me (they are younger than her by about three years). I also have a soft spot for underdogs. I love knowing the ending of book so that I don't internally race to the finish because I want to know how it ends. I like knowing that at least in books, the good guys always win. How sad that it never happens in real life.
The other book is called Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult. I love Jodi Picoult. I always buy one of her books when I go to Target. This book is one of my favorites, coming in a close third to two of the other books by her. This book makes you question everything you know. Do you know that your name is really your name? That your parents are really your parents? The story is about a woman named Delia Hopkins, who searches for missing persons. She and her fiance Eric have a daughter named Sophie. Eric is an alcoholic who has been Delia's friend since childhood, along with Fritz, a reporter.
Then her father is arrested and tried with kidnapping- it seems that Delia really isn't Delia. Her name used to be Bethany Matthews. Her father kidnapped her and is now on trial in Arizona. Fritz is there reporting and Delia packs up her daughter and Eric to head there.
This book will have you staying up late, just trying to figure out all the twists and turns of the plot. I really like this one because it makes you really think about what would happen if all you were ever told turned out to be a lie, how someone could handle that. All of Jodi Picoult's books are like this and I definately would recommend them to anyone. I have a bunch of her books if anyone is interested, please let me know and I will lend one to you.

No comments: