Monday, March 16, 2009


ok so i was reading Into The Wild and i found a quote that really caught my attention and here it is:


"He was alone and young and wild hearted, alone amid a waste of wild air and brackish waters and the seaharvest of shells and tangle and veiled grey sunlight."


I love how descriptive it is, the words that he uses almost makes me feel as if he were explaining what McCandless was feeling by just describing the environment he was in. I specially love when he says “ alone amid a waste of wild air”. Everything just flows so simply and beautiful. I wish I could write or say things with such passion.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about the language he uses. It was in "Into Thin Air" as well and even though I hated the book I loved his use of language and how he described things so vividly...I'm glad it's the same with "Into the Wild." As for being able to write that way, I think that you are able to do it! Just find something you're passionate about and i bet that you will be able to do it!

AFletcher said...

That IS a beautiful passage, Adilene. I think it's worth noting that it is a quote from James Joyce, one of the most celebrated authors in the English language. The only book of his I've ever been able to read is Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man; The Dubliners is beyond me, as is Finnegan's Wake. One of my professors remarked when she was in her 60s, "I've read Finnegan's Wake about 5 times, and I think I'm finally beginning to understand it." I haven't started the struggle yet...somebody has to convince me that my life will be transformed in some way before I tackle a book I'll have to read 3-4 times before I BEGIN to understand it.

AFletcher said...

That photo looks nice next to Jason's purple shirt and green necklace, doesn't it?