Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Into the Wild Main Idea

I have just finished chapter 9 in Into the Wild and I believe that i may have come across Krakauer's underlining thesis. I know that is novel is based on true events and that in the natural life their is not a preset thesis, but I cannot escape what Krakauer is trying to say.

In the chapters 6-9 there is a lot of talk of other people who set out to make their desires a reality and failed. Krakauer talks about Rosellini, Waterman, McCunn, Ruess, and of couse McCandless. He tells us how these men wanted something badly and they set out to do it. He tells of their struggles, of their accomplishments, and of their death. This is a pattern I am not to fond of.

I have desires that I wish to pursue, maybe not as big as McCandless but still pretty big. If I set out to do these things I feel that I could die. I am not going to lie I am a bit apprehensive now. Don't get me wrong I understand that Krakauer is doing this to compare McCandless to others before him, but the way he does it makes me believe that there is an underlying point.

Maybe Krakauer believes that these adventures are asinine and he is trying to warn his readers that if they go to such extremes it will end fatal. Perhaps I am looking too much into his style, or not loooking enough. Your opinion?

Than again, I am only on chapter 9.

1 comment:

adilene said...

I think that Krakauer wrote Into The Wild not really to teach anything but because he admire what McCandless had done, and he saw it as amazing, in his opinion. It's up to us what we want to get from it. Whether we want to take it as an inspiration or as a warning for our future choices.