Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ultimate Betrayal

I was a little saddened when I finished reading Chapter twelve, and I actually had a little understanding and compassion for Chris. He found out some really shocking things about his parents, and he didn't know what to do with the information that he knew. I think that he handled it the wrong way though. He held in his resentment for his dad for the lie that he had known to be his life. He felt that his father was hypocritical, yet he didn't confront him about his problem. He just let his hate grow into something beyond his control. He hardened his heart toward his family because he felt betrayed. He had done what his family had to expected of him, but his father had made some deliberate mistakes that Chris could not forgive. I think he should have let his parents know about his findings, and then maybe he wouldn't have run off and died his lonely death. He would have kept that desire to live. He was lost emotionally, and he just needed to get away from anything that could lie to him. awww... he felt alone and betrayed. Sad right?

2 comments:

Michelle Nation said...

After reading that chapter I was a little sad for Chris, but to ostracize an entire family because of one person was a little to extreme. He left both of his parents and his sister because of his fathers mistake? That isn't very fair to everyone else. I think Chris was a little selfish in that he expected such perfection from people and good morals, but he would not even tell these people he looked down upon what he thought was wrong with them, he just disappeared.

Don't get me wrong, it is understandable to be upset by the knowledge of his father's wrongdoings, but to punish people other than his father? What was wrong with this guy?

KaylaBuono said...

I can really relate to Chris. I've had some family problems like his but not with my parents. He was mad and he wanted them to suffer for the lies they made him "live". Do i think he could have handled it better? Yes, of course I do but Chris was a radical; an extremist who did everything he 110% not holding back. But when you get hurt like that it is really hard to let your guard down and let everything be. It didn't help either that he was so driven to go to Alaska either. I think he just channeled all his emotions into going on that trip.