Monday, April 6, 2009

Admiring Alexander Supertramp

I love reading Into the Wild by Krakauer because I think McCandless's story is quite interesting. I admire his independence from the world and his ambition to find a sense of adventure.

When people go out into the wild, is it just because they want to experience a sense of adventure and independence from society? I think that there are other ways to find these things, but finding it through nature is remarkable. Personally, I wouldn't leave my home and travel on foot to find a sense of adventure or independence. I just don't have the guts to risk it all like that. To those who are like McCandless and would, Hallelujah! I think it's important to take risks once in awhile and take a step out of your safety zone. However, to me, living independent from society in the wild is way too much of a big risk to take.

That's why I admire McCandless, he is a strong character who never gives up on what he wants. Even with the issue of riding a canoe down the river -a process that could take up to years in order to be approved of -McCandless disregarded everything and did what he wanted. I like his character. Some people may think he's super crazy, and at time I do too, but overall he is stunning and admirable. He relies solely on himself to live and THAT is pretty amazing.

3 comments:

Brandon said...

Looks like you have the same opinion as me as far as liking the book. I hear the whispers of other students... I don't know if they like it as much as we do. haha. [don't tell fletch though. ;) ]

analisa said...

you know i do think that when people escape to the wild that it is just to get away from people and regular life. Just to live in a place without rush and compication. I think it would be a relaxing expeince.

Nick Dennehy said...

Thank you. Personally I find all the negative talk towards McCandless offensive. I just think that talking so much smack on a person who died doing something he loved is disrespectful. Yea he made some mistakes, and he paid for them with his life. But he died doing what he truly wanted to do in his heart. Many people have died for worse reasons doing dumber things. I completely admire what he did. I can almost guarantee that all the people saying the negative comments toward McCandless would be too scared to do any one thing he did on his adventure.