Monday, April 6, 2009

Stubborn? Headstrong? Determined? Crazy?

Stubborn, a little. Headstrong and determined, very. Crazy, far from it.

While reading Into the Wild, we all have had our diverse thoughts about Chris McCandless. Yes, he donated his $25,000 savings to charity. Yes, he abandoned his car and most everything else he own. Yes, he burned his Social Security card and all the money left in his wallet. But why? McCandless longed for adventure and a peaceful life away from society.
I just could not imagine doing all of that. Of course, it was his way to “get away”, but personally, I do not think I would have the courage or strength Chris had to do all of that. He hitchhiked, BY HIMSELF, into the Alaskan wilderness with the little supplies and skills he had. The hardest thing that I think that I would have to deal with is leaving all the people that I care about and that care about me, without even a mere good-bye. However, he did say good-bye but not in the sense that they thought they were going to lose him forever. I just could not do it.

In chapters 11 and 12, Chris goes through life trying to play a sport, or learn one at least. It seems as if it is his way, or no way. He was a bit stubborn, but regardless, he set his goal and eventually reached it. So, what do you think? Was he stubborn? Headstrong? Determined? Crazy? Or maybe a little bit of everything?

2 comments:

amj07 said...

What Chris McCandless did was indeed very hard to do in my eyes as well. To give up EVERY THING you have, and every thing in which links you to society, that is a major life decision. Throughout the book, through different people and their different points of view on Chris, I feel as though you can tell that his adventurous yet stubborn personality becomes more obvious and affected his decision to do what he did immensely. It is hard to just say that he was just plain crazy. I just recently finished the book a few days ago, and I honestly still cannot figure out what I think he was yet! I'm leaning towards he was a mix of all four character traits in which you listed. Those are all good suggestions of what he possibly was!

Neftali Castaneda said...

I agree with what you have to say. He was not at all crazy, but he sure was not normal. I could almost bet that 90% of us will not go out and do the same things that Alex did.

It just seems so crazy, so dangerous, so out of reach.

However, this is the reason why I think that what he did is something for EVERYONE to admire.

Many people in class have been saying that he was crazy and irresponsible...but honestly, I just don't see it. I think that that is what has confused me the most as we go through this book. I don't get their point in saying that he was an idiot and that he died because of his stupidity and that his popularity came from his carelessness. I just don't see it.

I really, really think that we should admire his bravery and his will. He did this for himself...not for stupid ignorant people to say that he was irresponsible.

I truly admire him....