Monday, April 6, 2009

BASICally:

I commented on one of Tiffany Smith's older posts. She was discussing Krakauer's use of the term pilgrim to describe McCandless. But when I finished, I realized "Dang! This could totally be a post." So here it is: my thoughts for anyone who thinks Chris is/was crazy.

When I came upon this passage, I analyzed it such to discover validity in Krakauer's claim. I did. Easily. The type of pilgrim with which I, and just about everyone who has passed elementary school, am familiar is the type that came to America from England in the 17th century. These people were fleeing from religious and political persecution done unto them by those in authority.

Why America? Because it was far enough away that it was an unadultered immensity where they could start anew, governed by their own principles. And thus, Chris was correctly deemed a pilgrim.

In his eyes, his parents were the authorities who were imposing their capitalistic ways on him. So he fled to Alaska to chart his own journey, and on the way, he met some helpful, providing friends (the equivalent of Squanto in essence).

Sure, go ahead and think McCandless as crazy. He's a pilgrim, and people thought pilgrims were crazy. The same holds true with Einstein, Newton, Galileo, Shakespeare, even MLK. People destined for greatness, especially when they are different than normal, are often labled crazy. To me, McCandless crazy= crazy-good. Like pop-tarts...

Or Mr. Nguyen.

1 comment:

AFletcher said...

Oh Mr. Nguyen, the Ultimate Pilgrim!