Monday, April 6, 2009

SSR response: 3rd quarter

A Long Way Gone: memoirs of a boy soldier by Ishmael Beah 226pages. Non fiction. autobiography.
This book is amazing, it's about a 12 year old African boy named Ishmael Beah who was forced to flea his home because of attacking rebels in Sierra Leone. By age 13 he was picked up by the government army & forced to commit terrible and cruel acts.He was one of the many children soldiers who were hopes up on drugs & wielding AK-47s
.He was now being forced to do to other people the same thing that caused him to flea his home. At 16 he was released from the army to the UNICEF rehabilitation center. It was hard for Beah to cope with the memories of the war and the terrible crimes that he was forced to commit, and also to regain a normal mentality. Now at age 26 he lives to tell everyone about the horrifying truth about the life he was forced to live.

I don't want to give away too much, but it's a really good book that you all should read. I have it if anyone would like to borrow it!

3 comments:

Berto Cuh said...

I always wondered what life would be like in a place where most everything is masked by death... I always thought it was strange how some people want control to just have it, and killing to get it is the least of their worries.


If you rated it on a scale of one to ten what would it be?

Kayla Wilson said...

honestly I would probably have to give it an 9. the book captured my attention & it really kept me interested.

Brandon said...

I think I'll look into this book. It sounds semi interesting. haha. And I've just finished my ssr book soooo I'm in the market for a new one. Thanx