Monday, April 6, 2009

whateva, whateva, i do what i want!

So Chris McCandless...well he is a bold character. He does what he wants which is probably why i like this book so much. Krakauer does put too much of himself in this book so i agree with Koyya, but he also depicts Chris in a way that i can connect with him easily. Many posts previous to mine talk about how they can connect to Chris because he got away from it all and they have wanted to do the same at some point in their lives. But for me, the connection is more about what he did with his decision to get away than why he got away. When he went away, he literally WENT away somewhere where he was not findable. That's something that i thought until now that was hard to do. Apparently not. I feel like it's easier to talk about Chris and his actual actions more than to talk about his actions and why he did certain things because we just plain don't know why he did some things. We have an idea, but not the facts. That's why I like Chris. He's very unpredictable. Someone who has fun no matter what situation he's in. (unless it's starvation of course) Anyway, Into The Wild was a book that made my perspective change on our modern "society" and all of its faults. But it also made me realize why i like it too. I LIKE the conveniences of it. I LIKE the fact that we can live in nice houses and have material items. But I also realize that some of these material things are just objects that distract us from things that in Chris's mind are more important such as nature and being free. This book opened my eyes to a more mature outlook on life and its complicated twists and turns.

2 comments:

Rachael Donovan said...

I like how you mentioned about how he was so unpredictable; it’s what makes the book so interesting. He did an extreme of what many people (young people especially) want to do.. GET OUT! You are completely right! It would be hard to get out of it all, no technology, no family, no social security number! I didn’t even realize that until I read the book!

isabell said...

I respect McCandless for actually acting on what he believed in & in my opinion all that he accomplished with his voyage. Not so many people in society are willing to do what McCandless stood up for these days.