Monday, April 6, 2009

SSR: Breaking Dawn/Tender At The Bone/Into The Wild

So I re-joined ERW at the beginning of the third quarter. Before re-joining I just finished the last book in the Twilight series, Breaking Dawn. Then when I came a part of Ms.Fletcher's first period class, it became the time to choose a new ssr book. I remember one morning Fletcher seriously set out about ten books and described each one to me and told me to choose one. The one I chose is called Tender At the Bone. And then of course it was time to buy our Into The Wild books, so I went out and bought that and started reading it the night I bought it. It kind of felt like my ssr book, which led me to not yet finishing my Tender at The Bone book, because I got so wrapped up in Into The Wild. First I guess I'll discuss a little bit about Breaking Dawn. Every single Twilight fanatic will tell you differently about this last book and some despise it while others couldn't bare to know it is the end. I am one of the people who was dreading that I was on the very last page of the book! It was everything I wanted and more. Stephanie Meyers went above and beyond my expectations with the story line! You see, I predicted that Bella wasn't going to become a vampire until the very end! Was I ever wrong about that! Right from the start it was non-stop action. I lived in the world of Breaking Dawn while reading it. My favorite thing about this book, and just the Twilight series in general is that while I am reading it, there is a vivid movie that plays in my mind for each book. That is when I know I am really into the book and it's story! The main thing I always hear about this book is how some people hate the ending, and others love it. Some people are talking about how the ending is way too happy and cliche. I think the ending to the series is perfect and fitting! Yes, it is extremely a "happily ever after" ending, but how else would someone want it to end? The ending made me so happy and it was simple and sweet. Edward + Bella + Renesmee= A life all happy together with no worries of the Volturi bothering them again! As for Tender at The Bone, I got exactly to the middle of the story. So far what I read is really entertaining, clever, and witty. Ruth Reichl uses her love of food to tell her story of growing up with her mother, who cannot cook to save her life, and her father. They live in the Manhattan area and with her mother lacking so many kitchen and cooking skills, this forced Reichl, in a good way, to become more dominant in the kitchen. She becomes quite the cook and tells stories about her childhood life, high school life, college life, and even her days in Quebec where she attended an all-girl fluent speaking French school. Her writing style is really laid-back and makes you feel at home. She even includes recipes in her book as well. So far what I am getting from this book is that it is about growing up with the influence of being a good cook and having good food as a part of her life. She tells you her stories as if you were right there with her. That is my favorite part about Reichl's writing so far.

1 comment:

Destinee J. said...

Breaking Dawn is my 2nd favorite book of the Twilight series. My first favorite would have to be Twilight itself, which is when I fell madly in love with Bella and Edward's realistic but yet magical relationship. The Twilight series is still to this day the best books I've ever read, and I read Twilight for the first time two years ago. That's saying something. I would recommend every girl read the series, and guys too (but I doubt they will) because it's the most incredible story ever. It's full of hope, love, and magic. It's beautiful.