Monday, April 6, 2009

really?

I don't see what's the big deal about McCandless. Yes, he went into the wild. And yes, he burned money. I'm sure there have been several other people who have done both of those. Chris, or should i say Alexander, didn't have to do all that. I mean, people go camping all the time. I'm sure that would have itched the same spot for "Alexander." I dont believe he truly went into Alaska, trying to rough it and live off the fat of the land. He had a gun, rice, and stuff like that that made he excursion easier. I just don't see whats the big deal. There are people that went out and did everything that Chris did except four times better and more extreme. I'll post names and info as soon as I names and photos. I'm making it a personal project. Ha thats what i'm gonna do instead of my stats homework. =]

3 comments:

Maddi Martin said...

I agree that what chris did was nothing out of the ordinary to some people, but at the same time for someone who was not used to living independently and out of what he carried on his back i think it was a huge and demanding task that for the most part he did pretty well. I also think that even though he did bring a gun and rice and other small belongings with him it was simply a matter of being smart enough so that he didn't die out there alone and helpless, although that backfired i think that was why he did it. Not to make things "easier".

Rachael Donovan said...

In a sense, I agree with you. There are people that have done similar things and had similar obstacles, but have survived. Also, the book discusses people, like Waterman and Rosellini, who had died because of incompetence, but where’s their book? Why are we not writing about them right now?

What I did appreciate about McCandless, however, is that he was intelligent. It is what I think is one thing that set him apart from the rest (or at least from the people that I’ve heard of). Maybe that’s why Krakauer was so interested in his story apart from the others.

niickbearrr said...

haha yea. i can watch man vs. wild and see bear grylls do all the stuff mccandless did and live at the end of the hour. and of all names, why would you change it to alexander supertramp?