Tuesday, April 14, 2009

SSR: Fledgling (yeah, again)

I already know that Zikomo made a post about this, but I read some of this book too and I want to write my own opinion. Fledgling, by Octavia E. Butler, is a fiction novel about a vampire girl who wakes up in the woods unaware of who she is, how she got there and why she is there. So, Shori, is finding the answers that all lead back to how and why she was there at the beginning. She meets people who help her find these answers and struggles to remind herself that she's a vampire, to not suck their blood all the time. Out of the 310 pages, I only finished about 90-okay, now that I think about it I really didn't read that much. Still, Fledgling didn't capture my interest for long enough. It felt like it was taking too long to get to the main plot. Where I was, and who knows how much farther, it seemed like the book was going nowhere really. I had to keep forcing myself to bring this book every Monday. Besides, this whole vampire deal never grabbed me. To all you vampire-lovers, you'll probably like this one.

3 comments:

Yvan said...

Hehehe...reminiscent of Twilight much. Not that I've read it.
What?
Stop looking at me like that.

brendan said...

I'm not too sure about this whole vampire genre.Ever since everyone has been obsessed with Twilight, it seems like more and more authors try to write about vampires. Were these books out before Twilight and nobody noticed them? Or did the authors of these less popular books see how big Twilight got and try to be like the Twilight series?

angie samblotte said...

i just looked it up, and what do you know...they were both released in 2005.