Monday, April 6, 2009

SSR Book: Atonement by Ian McEwan

I first found out about this book from the movie Atonement with Kiera Knightley, the girl from Pirates of the Caribbean. It's 377 pages and the genre is fiction. The title of the book explains it all. Well, almost.

What is "atonement" you ask? It's basically the amends or reparation made for an injury or wrong. Atonement takes place around 1935 in England. It begins with 13-year-old Briony Tallis, who's an overally dramatic child that is obsessed with writing plays and stories. Based on events she sees but doesn't quite understand, she becomes the reason why Robbie is conviced of a crime that occurred on her family's estate. As she grows older throughout the book, she realizes what her "white lie/thought" has done to the her sister Cecilia's love relationship with Robbie, as well as Robbie's life. At the end of the book Briony understands what she has done wrong and who she's hurt along the way because of what she thought she saw.

The structure of Atonement is unusual than other books I've read. Yet this is probably why i love this book so much. Atonement is one of the books that examines the interpretation of truth and how we don't always understand what we see. The author McEwan manages to keep his reader unsettled, wondering at the characters’ motivations and leaving loose ends. You finally understand the whole book when the final page is turned that the reader is able to put together the whole story.

Atonement is a book I definetely reccomend to read, especially if you like the whole romance excitement stuff. Read it, watch it, and compare it. Hopefully you'll love it just as much as I do.

1 comment:

JimmyOhiri said...

mmmhmmm Atonement I see!!!Lol
I actually understand that girls like the whole romance mystery type novels so I will give this book a pass but truthfully I would never read a book that didn't get to the point in some sense. I need closure in my books!!!!!!!!Lol