Monday, April 6, 2009

Chris McCandless .. ?

Okay, not trying to shoot down anyones opinion, but can someone try to explain to me exactly what is so great about what McCandless did? I personally don't think its such a big deal, what he did. I mean, yeah, he was a great person & very humble, but him going from place to place on his own with no help from anybody, in my eyes, isn't very heroic. Maybe I deserve to be put in the category of the Alaskans who weren't very sympathetic about Chris's death, even though it is pretty sad that he had to starve to death. I do feel for him about that, I just dont understand why some people think what he did was so great. Chris was actually pretty admirable to be so humble and not ask for anyones help, except for maybe on a few occasions. I don't think his journey was stupid or anything, just curious as to why anyone would want to live like that. That's just me loving civilization and technology & what not though. I guess there is a difference between enjoying & loving the outdoors. I enjoy the out doors, but Chris on the other hand loved it.

4 comments:

bolaanyoss said...

oooo cheryl i like what you were saying about how you didnt really understand why anyone would want to live like that and that you didnt see why his lifestyle wound up being portrayed as "heroic". it made my point of view change a little in thinking that you were right. why did people make it sound heroic? i dont know. but i like that your post made me think :)

PJ said...

i agree with you. sure chris was probably a nice guy and people liked him but he wasn't heroic at all.he didn't do anything spectacular or change the world, he just lived his life the way he wanted to. he did have some qualities that were admirable but in all honesty i feel more sad for his family than i do for him. he knew all the risks when he went to alaska but he was stubborn so he went any way. his family had no clue where he was or what he was doing and then one day they were told of his death. that's just messed up. chris may be a lot of things but you're right, he's not a hero

Jordan Pennington said...

i completly agree. I think the same thing..he was probably really nice and just wanted some freedom he was not a hero. Really generous and brave but not a hero? or anything like that he did't do anything that any other adventurous person wouldn't do!

A McKell said...

I agree with you as well. When I hear the word hero I think of someone who has done something so great that it affects the way a person lives, thinks, and acts. Yes, McCandless may have made some people want to climb a mountain and risk death but what has he done for everyone else. I don't think of him as a hero at all. He didn't do anything that changed the world for the better which is what a hero means to me.