Monday, April 6, 2009

An inspiration?

Into the Wild is now one of my favorite books that I have read this year. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Chris McCandless and what he did because it truly takes a person with so much courage and audacity to go out into the Alaskan Wilderness by themselves. I love the fact that he gave away everything he had to start over by going across America and living life on the edge instead of his regular day to day life. Personally, I would love to take a year or two off and adventure my away across the country, including backpacking in Alaska. McCandless was an obstinate young man who took an adventure of a lifetime to get away from the crazy world surrounding him. No one really knows what his true intentions were or why he felt he needed to go into the wild. I feel like Chris was a free spirit at heart but growing up his parents made him be someone he’s not. I am glad he got to do what he wanted even though I don’t think this is how he wanted it to end.

4 comments:

Julia Crook said...

I feel the same way! So many people dream of taking a trip like this, but most will never actually do it. Many people say he was stupid for going into the wild but I give him props. For such a short life, he accomplished a lot. Just making it through college was a success. Yeah, the whole situation ended badly, but he left a story behind.

Kellie Graham said...

I agree with you completely. People consider him unprepared or irresponsible. Yet was he unprepared when spent MONTHS getting ready for his "Alaskan Odyssey"? And was he irresponsible when he did everything his parents (and everyone else for that matter) expected of him all the way up to college? McCandless did all that was required of him, yet the minute he does something for himslef (that happend to turn out badly), he's called inconsiderate, stubborn, irresponsible, and crazy

isabell said...

I admire McCandless because he did what he wanted to do. Most people just sit around doing nothing with their lives. He taught me that if I want something in life to try to get a hold of it until I get it.

PJ said...

even though i think chris should have went about his trip a little different for his own saftey & he should have communicated with his family, i do agree with you. i think that chris was very courageous & i admire that he had his mind set on something & followed through with it.