Monday, April 6, 2009

What if Chris Survived?!?

I was excited when i first heard that we were reading Into the Wild. I was interested in finding out Chris McCandless' story, but as i started reading the book i really couldn't get into the book. One of the questions that have popped into my mind the most is What If Chris McCandless didn't die? I feel that not many people would be so interested in his story & we probably wouldn't be talking about it today. If Chris survived yes, I am sure that he would have written a book about his journey & surviving his "Alaska Odyssey" but that would probably be it.

I'm kind of getting the feeling that McCandless is a bit inconsiderate. I don't really know about anyone else but i am really close to my mom & I could never go years without letting her know if i was doing well or if I was even alive. Although the relationship with his parents was not that good I think that they had a right to know where he was.




2 comments:

Yvan said...

If Chris was still Alive right now, we all probably wouldn't be here talking about this right now. I also agree that his parents had the right to know where he was at the time. We may all get angry at our parents from time to time. But to get angry enough to not let them know you're alive and breathing? That just seems wrong to me.

Destinee J. said...

I wondered the same exact thing. I agree that not many people would be interested in his story. I don't think he would have touched as many lives as he did if he remained alive, as he did with his death.

At first I though he was inconsiderate. Then I thought to blame his actions on his common sense, which Westerberg said he lacked. But right now I'm just thinking he was just looking for an adventure. I think people would like to believe that the bond between parent and child can withstand anything, that no amount of hurt or pain can rip that bond to shreds, but sometimes it just can't.