Monday, April 6, 2009

Not so Crazy After All

After reading the last chapters assigned, I don't see Chris as crazy the way some people made him out to be in the beginning. Sure he could have been better prepared for Alaska, but he was out there for some time, it was just that one mistake that messed everything up for him. It seems like that he has always been adventurous and enjoyed spending time in the wild from a young age. Especially with the stories of his family finding him at a neighbor's house eating candy, most kids are afraid of the dark, let alone wandering around the street. The story that really caught my attention was when his mother was talking about her own father and how he was the ideal outdoors men. She was describing the trips they would take to visit him and the strong relationship Chris developed with his grandfather over their love for the wild, I could see where he got his interest nature. Chris used that love of nature as an escape from his parents after bearing that horrible time in his point of view with his them, though I don't agree with how he broke off from his family. I couldn't think of doing that to my brother, even if I was that upset with my parents. It seemed like he and his sister very close to each other, I understand if he felt like he still needed to leave, but to not tell the one person who knows firsthand what your feeling is difficult. Chris could have at least told her what he was planning on doing or contacted her later, I can only imagine how hurt she must have felt not knowing where he was.

Michelle Herrera

1 comment:

betty s. said...

I believe Chris learned to be distant at a young age. Although Conni and Chris did relate well to one another I don't think that he was attached to the sibling connection. He first and for most had to protect himself even though he cared for his sister. I believe Chris had a mentality of 'You should have known better than to get too attached'.

♥peace