Thursday, April 23, 2009

Justice:Childhood Love Lessons - with the grain

Ok, I don't know what period 1 did, but period 3 has read through the essay by bell hooks. This reading was the "with the grain" reading and we were to look at it from hooks way of thinking. And I must say that I agree with her 95%.

I agree that you cannot truly love a person if you are abusing them, and that is what children are. They are people. Yes, their brains are not developed and you need to show them what is wrong and what is right, but they are still people. I believe, and you probably will agree, that in order for people to develop normally they need to be shown love and care. Without it, their views on how they handle relationships and how they care for their fellow man is distorted. I think this is what hooks is really getting at. Yes, the main argument is to not physically abuse your kids, but the underlying message is to show your child love and care. Pure TLC (no abuse necessary).

Now after reading the essay, it seems like hooks stance on spanking is unclear. We can clearly see that she does not agree with violent humiliation and abuse, but what about a small smack across the bottom when the child did something wrong? In paragraph 19, she outlines steps on how to teach you child responsibility and loving discipline, and excludes information on physical contact. That is why I think, not quite sure, hooks is also against spanking. This is when I disagree with her.

Like most of you. I have been spanked. And I am not afraid to admit that I will probably spank my kids, when they do something wrong. I am willing to argue that spanking is a loving discipline, to a certain extent. When you spank your child when they do something really wrong, and only on occasion can be necessary. If you take away privileges and give your child a time-out for locking their sibling in a closet and not letting them out or playing catch with the cat the child will believe that this offense is no bigger than writing on the wall with crayons. You need a slightly bigger discipline in order to get the message across that what they did was very bad.

I am a pro-spanker who agrees with bell hooks on the morality of abusing your children. But I also believe that you just need to find that line, because it is one thing to spank your child every so often, and another to spank them everyday for simple things. That is borderline abuse.

1 comment:

bigdaddykyle said...

I also agree that sometimes children need to be spanked, beaten, or whooped whatever you would like to call it. I think this because somethings cant just be let go with a simply dont do that again they need to know they did something really bad that they should never do again. I was beaten some while I was younger and looked how i turned out lol.